RTT: Seeking a mystery novel which features a game of Go
m***@eudoramail.com
2005-05-27 10:55:02 UTC
Hello everyone,

I wonder if anyone here knows of a mystery novel, probably at least
thirty years old, in which the hero, a Japanese detective, plays a game
of Go. The game position after each move is featured in the book, IIRC.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Mark
fcpguru
2005-05-28 01:41:08 UTC
Try this link if no one can pinpoint it for you:
http://www.usgo.org/resources/books.asp

scroll down a bit past the go books to books that feature go.

david boise ID
m***@eudoramail.com
2005-05-29 14:22:28 UTC
Thank you very much.
c***@alamedanet.net
2005-05-28 11:56:05 UTC
Post by m***@eudoramail.com
Hello everyone,
I wonder if anyone here knows of a mystery novel, probably at least
thirty years old, in which the hero, a Japanese detective, plays a game
of Go. The game position after each move is featured in the book, IIRC.
Any help greatly appreciated!
Mark
hmm, i can't recall any novel in any genre which has the latter
attribute -- following the game position anywhere near that closely.
in fact, except for the sorta-novel Meijin, aka Master of Go, i can't
think of any novel which tracks a specific game in any signifigant
detail.

for what it's worth, which may not be much, here are all i have at
hand of true mystery/whodunit works with any go content whatsoever:

dale furutani, Death at the Crossroads, 1998
dale furutani, Kill the Shogun, 2000
dale furutani, Death in Little Tokyo, 1996
sujata massey, Zen Attitude, 2000
laura joh rowland, The Concubine's Tale, 1998
laura joh rowland, Black Lotus, 2001
nicolas freeling, Because of the Cats, 1963
e.v. cunningham [howard fast], The Slaiding Pool, 1981
robert van gulik, The Chinese Lake Murders, 1960
sara paretsky, The Takamoku Joseki, 1983 [short story]
jonathan wood, The Ear-Reddening Move of Shusaku, 1987 [short
story]

so only the freeling and the van gulik are old enough to qualify,
although cunningham's Sliding Pool gets huge bonus points, despite only
a single brief go mention, for having by far the coolest go art cover
of any fiction in english.

there are a few espionage thrillers of the sort that sometimes get
shelved with mysteries, though again nothing with the kind of depth of
go analogy implied by the original question:

trevanian [rodney whittaker probably; james hashian maybe],
Shibumi, 1979
marc olden, Giri, 1982
marc olden, Dai-Sho, 1983
david merrell, The Brotherhood of the Rose, 1984
eric van lustbader, Jian, 1985
eric van lustbader, Shan, 1986

no luck, unless the original poster read something of which i'm
not aware yet.

chiwito
m***@eudoramail.com
2005-05-29 14:22:52 UTC
Thank you very much.
Henry McGuinness
2005-06-06 14:27:37 UTC
Was it "Shibumi", by Trevanian? (Trevanian's real name was Rodney Whitaker),
though I think the murderer/assassin was the Go player in this book.
cheers,
Henry
Mark
c***@alamedanet.net
2005-06-10 23:09:15 UTC
Post by m***@eudoramail.com
Hello everyone,
I wonder if anyone here knows of a mystery novel, probably at least
thirty years old, in which the hero, a Japanese detective, plays a game
of Go. The game position after each move is featured in the book, IIRC.
the protagonist is the go player, although he is an assassin.
it's a spy thriller rather than the sort of whodunit usually associated
with the mystery genre, so the "good guy" is as much a
murderer/assassin, at least legally, as the baddie.

Shibumi is probably by whitaker, although i have never been able
to unravel the relationship between the two authors normally associated
with the trevanian pseudonym in most reference books. whether
james/jack hashian actually wrote any of the trevanian novels i'm no
longer sure. if so, i suspect it would be one or both of the
"sanction" books [trevanian's first two].

chiwito
Nikuradse
2005-06-15 18:30:06 UTC
Post by c***@alamedanet.net
Shibumi is probably by whitaker, although i have never been able
to unravel the relationship between the two authors normally associated
with the trevanian pseudonym in most reference books. whether
james/jack hashian actually wrote any of the trevanian novels i'm no
longer sure. if so, i suspect it would be one or both of the
"sanction" books [trevanian's first two].
chiwito
chiwito,

I was searching google groups and I noticed this thread. As far as I am
concerned Shibumi, and all of the other Trevanian Works are by Rod
Whitaker. The US copyright office seems to think so as well. Many have
been re-registered under Whitaker's name as claimant as they come up
for renewal. The film rights were also optioned to Steven Seagal
(shudder) in 1992

The James/Jack Hashian theories are just that, theories IMHO. The
origin of the Hashian rumor started with a NY Times article in 1984. I
can give you the specific date of the article when I am at home and can
consult my notes if you desire.

Also, if you search 'Hashian' and 'Trevanian' (or Trevanian's
mispellings such as Travanian, etc.) on Google Groups you can find
various threads going back to the early 1990's where various people
claim that they know someone who knows someone that Trevanian is really
Hashian, etc.

These are interesting but false as far as I am concerned. I will be
happy to trace out a line of premises to support this conclusion in a
future post. I am somewhat of a Trevanian buff and have managed to
unravel a few bits of information.

There is a website that appeared about two months ago www.trevanian.com
that is devoted to Trevanian and his new book, "The Crazy Ladies of
Pearl Street".

If you check out the bio page on the site you will see an interesting
blurb on Hashian and "Trevanian's" response.

On another note - I am curious if the letter from Trevanian to Peter
Shotwell in your piece "Go in Literature" is quoted in its entirety.

Regards,
c***@alamedanet.net
2005-06-17 17:42:24 UTC
Post by Nikuradse
Post by c***@alamedanet.net
[...]
i tend to agree. as my post indicated, i am no longer at all sure
whether hashian wrote any of the "trevanian" books. on the other hand,
given whitaker's secretive approach and the general weirdness of the
history of the pseudonym, i am not convinced that he, or someone else,
didn't. whitaker's use of pseudonyms and possible imposters was so
intensive that it may never be possible to prove a negative contention
with respect to any aspect of the situation. if he bought the rights
to the name from someone else, he could certainly have later
transferred the copyrights to himself when they were renewed.

i still believe that if hashian or anyone else wrote any of the
trevanian works, it would probably be one or both of the "Sanction"
novels, the first two trevanians. thus under any hypothesis, whitaker
is most likely the author of Shibumi.

i eagerly look forward to any additional information which mr.
nikuradse is able to provide regarding the situation. if james "jack"
hashian did not write any of trevanian's books, were he and whitaker
associated in any way? was hashian the imposter whom whitaker claims
did a couple of interviews fronting for him? were there other such
imposters besides the one acknowledged by whitaker? does whitaker
reside in the basque region, as claimed by "trevanian" in various
interviews and in book publicity materials, as well as in the letter to
peter shotwell? are other aspects of trevanian's bio accurate with
respect to whitaker?
Post by Nikuradse
On another note - I am curious if the letter from Trevanian to Peter
Shotwell in your piece "Go in Literature" is quoted in its entirety.
the letter is complete as published in the Spring, 1998, issue of
the American Go Journal. it is not, however, quoted at all in my Go in
Literature pieces. my posts by that name are three essays which
appeared in rec.games.go back in the early nineties. the versions
found on a couple of web sites are loosely based on my usenet posts,
but are so heavily edited by peter shotwell as to be different essays
entirely. the latter are filled with factual inaccuracies with which i
want no association. peter is a better writer and editor than i am,
but in this case he severaly massacreed my posts. just off the top of
my head:
he changed Rick Cook's first name to Robin, an error likely to be
especially confusing because there is a real author named Robin Cook
who is as well known in his field [horror] as Rick Cook is in science
fiction and fantasy.
he added a reference to the book Dream of the Red Chamber, which
was not mentioned in my posts. this book does in fact have a very
brief [one line] go reference. however, peter claimed that the lead
"character", one of the building blocks of heaven, was in fact a go
stone, a contention impossible to square with any reading of the text.
he also claimed that the alternative title used for some english
translation of the book, The Story of the Stone, was about his go stone
rather than about the building block.
he conflated two of my essays into a complete hash. the first
was about what i then considered the three most important go references
in literature, regardless of genre. the second was about references in
science fiction and fantasy. he changed them to one essay on
mainstream non-genre lit and one on sci fi, but then he reshuffled the
books mentioned in either of my originals, seemingly completely at
random. as a result, he had two essays attributed to me that
supposedly discussed go references in particular catagories, but there
was zero correlation between the actual contents of the books involved
and the catagories to which he assigned them.

as you may guess, i am more than a bit embarassed to have these
things floating around the net with my name on them. one of the
reasons i intend to finally get going on my long-procrastinated
annotated bibliography of go literature is to provide good info on most
of the books mentioned in these essays before i approach sensei's
library and other websites with a request to remove the incoherent
versions.

hoping to see more info on trevanian and Shibumi,

chiwito
Nikuradse
2005-06-18 16:18:16 UTC
Post by c***@alamedanet.net
the letter is complete as published in the Spring, 1998, issue of
the American Go Journal. it is not, however, quoted at all in my Go in
Literature pieces. my posts by that name are three essays which
appeared in rec.games.go back in the early nineties. the versions
found on a couple of web sites are loosely based on my usenet posts,
but are so heavily edited by peter shotwell as to be different essays
entirely. the latter are filled with factual inaccuracies with which i
want no association. peter is a better writer and editor than i am,
but in this case he severaly massacreed my posts. just off the top of
Chiwito,

The specific version of the Trevanian letter that I am refering to is
the following PDF file from USGo where the letter is qouted therein:

www.usgo.org/resources/downloads/go_in_literature.pdf

I was wondering if this contained the complete letter or if I should
obtain the 1998 back issue of the Go journal you are refering to?

Regards,

Dennis
c***@alamedanet.net
2005-06-18 16:52:29 UTC
Post by Nikuradse
Post by c***@alamedanet.net
[...]
that is also the one to which i was referring. if i failed to
make myself clear, the letter that peter shotwell added to the
butchered version of my go-lit essay which appears on the usgo site is
an accurate and complete reproduction of the letter as originally
published in mr. shotwell's column in the Go Journal. i've never seen
the original letter, of course, so i only have mr. shotwell's two
published versions to compare with one another. if one were to compare
the archived rec.games.go posts of my original go-lit essays, with the
reimaginings of them which appear on the usgo site, one would find that
all the quotes from Shibumi in the latter versions are also not found
in my essay. they were all added by peter, and taken from his column
along with the trevanian letter. unlike some of the "additions" about
which i complained earlier, the Shibumi quotes appear to be accurate
and add to the essay.

still interested in any info you can add to the mystery.

chiwito
Nikuradse
2005-06-18 18:11:05 UTC
chiwito,

I am pressed for time right now so I will lay out some of the
'evidence' and information and my inferences in seperate posts and wrap
them up later. Thus my approach to the information may be somewhat
chaotic and choppy.

My Disclaimer: I don't know Whitaker or Trevanian nor do I know anybody
who is connected with them (him), I am not a journalist, writer,
cyber-stalker, besotted fan, etc. I don't have "access" nor do I have
an insiders knowledge. In general I don't read much fiction. I merely
have had an interest in Trevanian's works and access to the Ineternet
and various databases and have slowly built up a picture over time from
which I have formed my own opinions as a peripheral hobby to my main
unrelated interests.

The earliest (I believe) authentic contact with 'Trevanian' was a June
10, 1979 New York Times article by Carol Lawson where Trevanian was
interviewed by Lawson over the phone, part of the then-given reason was
that Trevanian was going out of business:

The article stated in part:

"...He wanted to talk mostly about his work and little about himself.
According to Nat Wartels, his publisher at Crown, Trevanian was
teaching film and drama at the UNiversity of Texas when "The Eiger
Sanction" came to Crown over the transome. "When I finally met the
man," Mr. Wartels added, "he looked something like Clint eastwood, who
eventually starred in the film version of the book."

Trevanian himself would not say were he has taught or even reveal where
he was born. He described himself as being close to 50, "a follower of
no religion," a rock climber and the holder of a Ph.D. in
communications and of other degrees in history, English and theater."

The article also had a grainy (silouhetted) photograph that purported
to be of Trevanian and gave additional details such as Trevanian had
three children and lived with them and his wife in a tiny Basque
village in France, Trevanian served during the Korean war, never worked
for the CIA, and spent part of his youth in post-war Japan. (The
photograph is an important part of my speculation and I will address in
a later post).

So in this article we have Trevanian owning up to (or Nat Wartels
providing) the following facts:

- 4 degrees including a Ph.D. in communications
- Taught drama and film at UT Austin when the Eiger sanction came out
(via Wartels)
- Three children
- didn't have a high school diploma until the age of twenty-five
- "Close to fifty"
- lived with family in France
- resembles Clint Eastwood (via Wartels)

I have a copy of Whitaker's Ph.D. thesis (Ph.D in the field of Radio,
Television, and film (or communications if you will) dated August 1966)
from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois which provides the
following info on the C.V.

Name: Rodney Willaim Whitaker
Place of Birth: Grandville, New York (it states Grandville as written
and not Granville as I have seen written eleswhere)
Date of Birth: June 12, 1931
Degrees:

- AA, major - English (1955), Olympic College, Bremerton, WA
- BA, major - Drama (1959), University of Washington
- MA, major - Drama (1960), University of Washington

These I believe are the exact four degrees that Trevanian periodically
refers to holding in various later interviews from the late 1990's.

So Whitaker was born in 1931 which would make him about 48 years old at
the time of the 1979 NYT article. Hashian died on Sunday April 11, 1999
at the age of 76, so he was born in approximately 1923 and would have
been about 56 years old at the time of the 1979 NYT article, 56 is not
"Close to fifty" it is over fifty IMHO.

Now if you go to the book "1339 ...or SO: Being the Apology of a
Pedlar" by Nicholas Seare it was published in 1975 by HBJ and is
copyrighted to Rod Whitaker". The book is dedicated to Thomasyn,
Christian, and Alexandra and I am 99.99% certain that these are the
names of Whitaker's three children. (note: the three children is a fact
that is also an important fact as Hashian's obituary states that he had
four children, three sons and a daughter).

Note: Trevanian edited a 2002 mystery short-story collection called
Death Dance, one of the stories is by an Alexandra Whitaker.

As an aside the second Nicholas Seare book, "Rude Tales and Glorious"
published by Clarkson Potter (a Crown subsidiary) in 1983 states on the
dust jacket that "Nicholas Seare is actually the second pen name of a
well-known author".

Trevanian's third book, "The Main" was published in 1976 also by HBJ.
The dust jacket blurb states that it was ten years in the writing. The
August 1998 Publishers Weekly Interview by Trevanian gives further
background on the background of this book and the first Seare book and
the mid-70's lawsuit with Crown, HBJ, and Trevanian. It is still online
and I can give you the link should you wish.

Also, from the Trevanian website we find that "The Main" and "The
Summer of Katya" had been concieved as films by Trevanian in the
mid-1960's. If you think about it, "The Main" (at least when I have
read it seems especially visual and I always imagined a gritty black
and white film, nice to know my suspicions were correct). "The Main" is
Trevanian's third book and yet most Hashian proponents only recognize
(or claim) the three spy novels of Trevanian (Shibumi and the two
Sanction novels). That is an important point timing wise and I will
return to it later.

Returning to Nicholas Seare the "Rude Tales" dedication states:

"This translation is dedicated to the guiding shades of: Geoffrey,
Miguel, Giovanni, and Francois"

I have longed believed that these are the true first names of the four
men that Shibumi is dedicated to and that Kishikawa, Otake, de Lhandes,
and Le Cagot are built on aspects of these four (presumably deceased
men).

As another aside particular to the Shibumi era Trevanian - Shibumi was
published on May 14, 1979. The short-story "Minutes of a Village
Meeting" was published in the February 1979 issue of Harpers. It was
ostensibly a story by Benat Le Cagot which was translated by Trevanian.
Of course Benat Le Cagot later appeared famously in Shibumi.

I can tell you that this story is different than the verson which
eventually surfaced on "Hot Night in the City" in
2000. The magazine version was set in 1938 (and not pre-WWI) and the
book version omits the Translators introduction by Trevanian, which
appeared in the magazine version. There are other editorial changes in
the story but in large part they remained the same in most respects.
Curiously this particular story is registered with the US copyright
Office with the "Text of Story" copyrighted by Trevanian.

To re-visit Hasian again briefly, Hasian's first novel, "Mamigon" was
published on October 1, 1982 by Coward, McCann & Geoghegan. Coward,
McCann & Geoghegan is an imprint of the Putnam group (now the Penguin
USA group). Putnam and Crown have never had common ownership, Crown is
now owned by a German firm. Most of the Hashian Proponents argue that
Hashian "sold" the Trevanian rights to his publisher (which would have
to be Crown), it begs the question as to why then didn't Crown continue
to publish him?

...more later ... To be continued
Nikuradse
2005-06-19 18:13:26 UTC
Part II

The first recorded instance of the linkage that I am aware of the name
Rod Whitaker with that of Trevanian (in a periodical) was an article in
the May 30, 1983 Washington Post by Joseph McLellan entitled "Trevanian
Treasure: By Any Other Name, Still A Tour de Force". In it McLellan
reviews both "The Summer of Katya" and discusses the then-upcoming
Nicholas Seare book, "Rude Tales and Glorious". The relavnat quote in
question states:

"...But the deepest masquerade of all is Trevanian disguises as
Nicholas Seare--or Rodney Whitaker disguised as both of them. "Nicholas
Seare is a pen name of a well-known, best-selling author," says an ad
for "Rude Tales." The indefinate articel is precisely chosen; nobody
except Whitaker knows how many other pen names he may have used, though
this information would certainly interest many Trevanian fans. Under
his own name, he wrote "The Language of Film," published by
Prentice-Hall and now out of print. In one of the many private jokes
that permeate his fiction, Trevanian makes a passing reference to it
("Whitaker, in his lean description of film linguistics...") in "The
Loo Sanction." As for the choice of his odd nom de plume, the best
guess is that it is a tribute to another great, pseudonymous writer: B.
Travan, author of "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre."....

McLellan doesn't provide any other information as to the source of
Trevanian's identity with Rod Whitaker in his review.

A possible clue to the source of his information may be this Letter to
the Editor from the July 17, 1983 New York Times by an Adele Hast. This
letter states:

"To the Editor,

Edwin McDowell, in About Books and Authors (May 29), states that
Trevanian "has never revealed his real name." Your readers may be
interested to know that the information is available in Who's Who in
America, 1982-83, page 3542, where Trevanian's biographical data are
found under his name, Rodney Whitaker.

Adele Hast
Editor in Chief Who's Who in America
Chicago, Ill."

The article by Edwin McDowell had appeared in the New York Times on May
29, 1983 and was a book review of "The Summer of Katya", then recently
released. McDowell quoted in his review from the 1979 Carol Lawson NYT
article where Trevanian had stated that he wasn't going to write any
more books under the Trevanian pseudonym and stated that apperently the
author had changed his mind.

The entry from the Who's Who in question states in its entirety:

WHITAKER, RODNEY (TREVANIAN), author; b. Tokyo, Japan, Jan. 12, 1925;
Ph.D. Formerly prof. U. Tex. Author: Eiger Sanction, 1972; The Loo
Sanction, 1973; The Main, 1976; Shibumi, 1979. Office: Care Press
Relations Crown Publishers Inc 419 Park Ave S New York NY 10016.

Presumably this is the first written instance of Rod Whitaker with
Trevanian and pre-dated the 1983 newspaper articles, if there are
earlier references I am unaware of them. I am unable to explain the
discrepancy of the birth date and place, I believe these are inaccurate
(see previous post) and to this day they are quoted. My personal
opinion is that it was a deliberate obscurity on Whitaker's part.

In the same New York Times issue as the Adele Hast letter (July 17,
1983) Edwin McDowell ran a further column which mentioned Trevanian. It
states in part:

"WE reported here recently that Trevanian, whose "The Summer of Katya"
is No. 7 on the Times fiction list, had said a few years ago that he
was finished writing under that psuedonym and was going to concentrate
on writing "erudite little novels for special audiences." We have since
recieved an explanatory letter from the author - that is, we recieved a
letter forom someone who signed his name Trevanian, and the publisher
assures us that the signature is authentic.

The author, whose real name we have been informed is Rodney Whitaker,
said that in "The Summer of katya" he had sought "to redirect the
Trevanian persona from the anti-hero adventure tale to more or less
conventional novels, focused at small readerships with a taste for
writing that seeks to achieve a specific ambience or sense of time and
space..."

McDowell went on to further briefly quote extracts of Trevanian's
letter in his column.

The next printed reference that I am aware of is an entry for Trevanian
(1925 - )in Volume 29 of "Contemporay Literary Criticism" published by
Gale in 1984. This is a five page entry which primarily consists of
extracts of newspaper and periodical reviews of Trevanian's novels
going back to 1972 and the Eiger Sanction. The brief introductory
material states:

"(Pseudonym of Rodney Whitaker; has also written under pseudonyms of
J.L. Moran, Nicholas seare, and Benat le Cagat) American novelist and
nonfiction writer.

Although Trevanian is best known for his suspenseful thrillers, he
writes under several names on subjects as diverse as art, law, and
religion. Trevanian's first novel, The Eiger Sanction (1972)...."

This is the first instance that I am aware of concerning the linkage of
the J.L. Moran and Benat Le Cagot names as Whitakers, the Nicholas
Seare having appeared previously (note the mispelling as Cagat is as
appears and is reproduced to this day). The entry also continues the (I
believe) erroneous 1925 birth year. Also note worthy in this entry is a
black and white photo of Whitaker which is captioned as being from the
University of Texas News Service. The only other one (besides probable
photos in University yearbooks earlier than this is the dust jacket
photo on "The Language of Film" and the 1979 NYT obscured photo.

At this point my research is limited to what has made its way to
Proquest and Lexis-Nexis. I suspect that this article (the Contemporary
Literary Criticism entry) is based in part on the 1979 NYT Lawson
article and also on possible articles in the Austin, Texas newspapers
or news releases etc. from the UT. The Austin papers online archives do
not date this far back though there is an interesting 1998 article that
appeared around the time of Incident at Twenty Mile. I would expect
that the 1979 NYT article where Nat Wartels said that Trevanian was a
UT professor had generated some local interest of some sort though by
1979 Whitaker had long-departed UT.

I suspect that either Whitaker or someone close to him provided the
information to Who's Who in 1982-83 or that the information was based
on a prior article or story that I am unaware of at this point. My
hypothesis is that there are earlier news articles from Austin or the
UT that establish the relationship (or attest to it in print) from the
1979 - 1983 period but that is yet to be confirmed.

As to why someone let the cat out of the bag (so to speak) as to
Whitaker being the identity of Trevanian at this time I have several
theories, one is that it was accidentally let out (i.e. the Wartels
story where deniability was no longer plausible as there were only so
many faculty at the UT film school in 1971-72 that could possibly be
Trevanian, The Journal of Broadcasting states that there were precisely
4 in a 1971-72 survey).

My other theory is that Hashian began to claim (or shall we say
obliquely and broadly hint)that he was Trevanian earlier than I am
currently aware of (which is the first instance of Hasian's claim, so
to speak, is an October 16, 1984 NYT article), possibly in the 1982
timeframe when his novel Mamigon was published. I will elaborate on
what I think and know in a later post.

...To be Continued...
c***@alamedanet.net
2005-06-23 19:00:59 UTC
great info on the trevanian mystery.

the Library of Congress website info on copyrights only goes back
to some date in the 1980s if i recall. therefore, it has info on the
copyright renewals in whitaker's name, but nothing on the original
copyrights. i suppose i could get off my lazy [bad word omitted] and
call or write to the Library for more info, but it would take as long
as all my other updates on go lit bibliography which i've been
promising for decades. does mr./ms. nikuradse or anyone else know how
to easily access older copyright records? also, for those items which
were copyrighted under the "trevanian" name, does the Library keep
records of the real names behind pseudonyms? in order to use a
pseudonym in a legal record of that sort, soes one need to file
documents with any other agency, such as a legal change of name or a
"doing business as" statement?

nikuradse provides some indication as to the likely names of
whitaker's children. we do know the approximate years he was living in
austin, TX. i know that to prevent fraud legal records such as birth
certificates and marriage licenses are less accessable than they once
were, but can any basic info be obtained in this manner? such as
confirming the identities of the kids? more biographical details on RW
himself, including confirmation on the birth date?

how about james/jack hashian? his death certificate has to be on
file and presumably obtainable. it would probably have his mother's
maiden name. if not, it would certainly have the date and place info
needed to check his birth and marriage certificates. the offhand
remark that "trevanian" was hashian's mother's maiden name sounds like
exactly the sort of anecdotal folklore which always gts added to
internet rumors, but it would be worth trying to confirm or deny.

how did the hashian=trevanian rumors get started? my impression
is that they didn't seem to have been promoted by hashian himself, but
of course he could have been bragging by word of mouth and leading
other people to pass on the claims in print. most importantly, why?
did he have a connection with whitaker? was he one of the people [i
don't believe RW when he says there was only one] whom RW got to
impersonate him for interviews and author appearances? did they have a
falling out? if hashian and RW didn't act in concert at some point,
then what was hashian's motive for letting the hashian=trevanian rumors
go on? or for actively starting them if in fact he did? just a clever
prank? [a good one if so, i might add; i always love pranks and
deceptions which exploit the fact that the person being impersonated
has secrecy issues growing out of similar pranks of his own. clifford
irving/howard hughes being the all time masterstroke]. did hashian
hope to jump-start his own writing career with the publicity? was the
whole thing started by his publisher or promoter?

how much of the biography which crown and/or whitaker have been
putting out for trevanian is "true"? i.e. to what extent do the
details of "trevanian's" life match any actual facts in whitaker's?
for example, does whitaker live in france? has he ever? does he have
any inside knowledge of the areas covered by Shibumi or by "Le Cagot's"
writings? was he ever a spelunker? any military background?

nikuradse states that most hashianites claim that JH sold or
transferred the copyrights to his publisher and that they in turn
transferred them to RW. i hadn't heard that claim before. i had
always assumed that whatever arrangements existed between JH and RW [up
until a couple of years ago, i assumed that the standard reference
works were right and that JH had written the Sanction novels] were
private and not connected with their publishers. i figured either that
JH sold the name directly to RW, after he was finished with it, or that
RW had hired JH as a ghostwriter in the first place. the latter
scenario would be rare for bestselling novels from a major publisher,
but was quite common in the pulp field and among genre writers in the
past. writers woud contract with a publisher for so many stories, then
farm them out to ghosts about whom the publisher often didn't know - or
care as long as the words kept coming in.

i am now convinced that rodney whitaker did write all of
"trevanian's" output, and to the extent that i had any lingering doubts
nikuradse's evidence is relatively convincing. however, there will
always be some doubt as long as so much of the evidence depends on
statements by RW himself and by crown, who may be in on the game.
also, even to the extent that we can consider the case proved, all the
ancillary mysteries of when, what and mostly why are still of great
interest.

chiwito
Nikuradse
2005-06-23 20:01:10 UTC
Chiwito,

I will break up my responses into seperate posts that will enable the
discussion to be more topical.
Post by c***@alamedanet.net
[...]
The US copyright office records are in large part online:

http://www.copyright.gov/

You can search copyright records yourself by clicking on "Search
Copyright Records" and then either selecting

"Books, Music, etc." (I suggest selecting on combined search for this
option and displaying "full-record display rather than summary).

or

"Documents" for options and reassignments (will bring up options
regarding Shibumi, etc.)

I have found nothing relavant in "Serials"

The keywords I suggest you input are 1) Whitaker, Rod 2) Whitaker,
Rodney (W), Trevanian 3) Whitaker, Alexandra 4) Whitaker, Chris
(Christian, Chris Brandon, etc.) 5) Seare, Nicholas 6) Le Cagot, Benat
7) Trevanian's works (i.e Eiger Sanction etc.)

Note that I have found no entries for "Apology for a pedlar" or "The
Loo Sanction" available online.

You may find the results interesting (though incomplete)

A search on Hashian BTW only indicates copyrights for Mamigon and
Shanidar.

That being said I believe that the online records are NOT complete and
very sketchy for anything before 1979.

A useful publication to consult on this sight (in PDF format) is "How
to Investigate the Copyright Status of a Work", Input on the main page
search bar in the upper right and you should find it easy enough, this
will answer most of your questions as to how to investigate and what
types of information are / are not availble.

On page 8 of this publication it has a section entitled "Works
Copyrighted Before January 1, 1978". There have been several changes to
copyright laws in recent times that effects the treatment of works and
the term of the Copyright protection depending on the date of copyright
and the applicable law.

Basically it states that under the then-existing law a copyright
endured for the first term of twenty-eight years and in the
twenty-eight year it was eleigble for renewal.

Turning to Trevanian it is curious to note that the original
registration date for "The Eiger Sanction" (Registration number
A384009) was October 28, 1972 (presumably as Trevanian) and the renewal
of the copyright (Registration number RE-831-835 renewed by Rod
Whitaker as author/claimant) was November 25, 2000.

This indicates to me the high probablitiy that "The Eiger Sanction" was
being renewed by the original author in compliance with applicable
copyright law.

Most of the "pro-Hashian is Trevanian" faction's case is built on the
fact that Hashian supposedely wrote the first three Trevanian books and
then sold the pseudonym. If Rod Whitaker wrote the Eiger Sanction it is
hard to see how they logically would have any case left that is
consistent with reality and not wishful thinking, near-fraud,
insinuation, rumor, or inneuendo.

Regards

...More in another post
c***@alamedanet.net
2005-06-24 03:04:22 UTC
Post by Nikuradse
Post by c***@alamedanet.net
[...]
this was my point exactly. i've searched the copyright office
online website records and they don't go back to the original dates of
either of the Sanction novels. like nikuradse, i am guessing that they
were originally copyrighted under the name trevanian, but it would be
useful to know for sure. that is why i asked if anyone knew of a way
to get earlier copyright info than that available through the website.
also, when something is copyrighted using a pseudonym, does the legal
right to use the name have to have been registered anywhere? would
there be in some local covernment office, or published in a local
"newspaper of general circulation" a formal notice that one is using a
pseudonym?
Post by Nikuradse
Turning to Trevanian it is curious to note that the original
registration date for "The Eiger Sanction" (Registration number
A384009) was October 28, 1972 (presumably as Trevanian) and the renewal
of the copyright (Registration number RE-831-835 renewed by Rod
Whitaker as author/claimant) was November 25, 2000.
This indicates to me the high probablitiy that "The Eiger Sanction" was
being renewed by the original author in compliance with applicable
copyright law.
not at all. of the three possible scenarios for the
hashian=trevanian school of thought, only one is largely refuted by
whitaker's renewal of the copyright.
1. trevanian was a house name, controlled by crown, who hired both
writers. this was extremely unlikely to begin with [there would
probably be traceable business records, crown was never known to have
done anything like this with any other property, and as nikuradse
points out elsewhere the franchise would have been better exploited].
this is the one hypothesis which is further ruled out by the fact that
whitaker controlled the name and copyrights at the time of hte renewal.
2. hashian sold the name to whitaker after he tired of using it.
not overly likely but not nearly as far-fetched in itself as
nikuradse's sarky analysis of hashian's finances and motivations. not
affected by the copyright renewal, since the rights to the previous
works would logically have been part of the deal.
3. JH and RW cooperated from the start, with hashian ghosting for
whitaker or the two of them co-writing some of the early books. some
variation on this was my original hypothesis. it doesn't look at all
likely now, but it too is not affected by the fact that RW held the
rights by the 1990s.

chiwito
Nikuradse
2005-06-23 22:28:10 UTC
Post by c***@alamedanet.net
great info on the trevanian mystery.
how much of the biography which crown and/or whitaker have been
putting out for trevanian is "true"? i.e. to what extent do the
details of "trevanian's" life match any actual facts in whitaker's?
for example, does whitaker live in france? has he ever? does he have
any inside knowledge of the areas covered by Shibumi or by "Le Cagot's"
writings? was he ever a spelunker? any military background?
As far as I know everything put out by Crown or Trevanian himself in
interviews etc. dating back to 1979 are consistent with or correlate to
the facts that are known or can be gleaned about Rod Whitaker from
various sources.

i.e. four university degrees, three children, former professor of film,
background in theater, writes under five names, lives in France in the
Basque regions, wife a painter, etc.

The same can not be said about Hashian in my humble opinion.

Recently there were two interviews / communications with Trevanian that
appeared recently; one in the online Wall Street Journal (circa June
10, 2005, subscription required) and also a June 13, 2005 article in
the Albany, NY Times-Union. They both are interesting, especially the
Times-Union article (for example it appears that Whitaker's mother was
Ruth L. (Lillian?) Whitaker and his Father William Whitaker.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=369638&category=REGION&newsdate=6/13/2005&TextPage=1

Unfortunately, it appears that Trevanian / Whitaker is dying. The Wall
Street Journal article says Trevanian has emphysema. The Times-Union
article states that trevanian has been told by Doctors that he is
dying. I am aware that he has been ill for the last five years at
least, personally I suspect that his health conditions surfaced in the
mid-1980's and in part accounted for the long silence of Trevanian in
the publishing world.

I believe that Trevanian / Whitaker does indeed live in the Pays Basque
in France and has permanently since 1979. I also believe that he lived
in France briefly in 1975-76. I suspect that he was a semi-frequent
visitor to France for years before this but under what circumstances or
when I don't know.

I also am aware second-hand from a 1998 Austin Statesman article that
Whitaker served in the US Navy and was a Fulbright scholar in England
(presumably in the late sixties, I have confirmed this from another
source) while at the UT.

A brief partial chronology of Whitaker's life (from the top of my head
and partly conjectural) would probably look something like this:

C. 1908-09 - Ruth L. Whitaker (Mother) born in upstate NY

1931 - born Gran(d)ville, NY, son of William and Ruth Whitaker. Very
poor and hardscrabble childhood. Abandoned by father.

C. 1936-1937 - moved to Albany, NY (see Crazyladies).

C. 1945 - moved with Mother and Sister to California. (see
Crazyladies).

C. 1945-1950 leaves home - picks crops, works in carnivals, etc. (see
Crazyladies).

C. 1945-1950 travels / hitchhikes to Europe and japan (see
Crazyladies).

C. 1950-1953/54 military service in the US navy

1954-55, A.A. degree at Olympic College in Bremerton, Washington. This
makes sense as CrazyLadies mentions that Whitaker's mother and
step-father moved to a farm by the Puget Sound, my guess is that it
would be on the Kitsap pennisula (i.e. near Bremerton, WA or near Pt.
Townsend, WA).

1956-60 - Attends the University of Washington (UW)in Seattle, WA,
lives in Pioneer square area and Lake Union area, meets and marries
wife Diane Brandon, works in local theaters as well as college
theaters.

1959 - BA in drama from UW.

1960 - MA in drama from UW. Still active/working in local theatre.
Writes "Eve of the Bursting" play for Master's thesis (later to be
adapted as the Nicholas seare book "1339 or So... An Apology for a
Pedlar in 1975).

c. 1960-61 step-father commits suicide.

c. 1960? - 1965? - Three children born

c. 1961 leaves Seattle, WA with family.Decides to give up career in
theater and pursue academic career in drama/arts/film.

c. 1961 - 63 - resides in or near Chicago, Illinois (speculative on my
part but it makes sense that the advanced coursework for a Ph.D. was
done and then several years elapsed until the delivery of the thesis in
August 1966)

C. 1963? - 1966/67? - Teaches / head of Drama at Dana College in Blair,
Nebraska

C. 1964/65 - 1970?, writes concepts or portions of seven film ideas
(per Trevanian's website), among them what would become the Trevanian
Book's "The Main" and "The Summer of Katya".

1966 - Ph.D. in Communications from Northwestern University in
Evanston, Illinois.

C. 1968? - 1974? - lives in Austin, Texas, teaches in department of
radio, Television, and Film, Dept. Chair in circa 1973-74.

c. 1968-69? visiting Fulbright scholar in England.

1970 publishes "The language of Film" as Rod Whitaker.

C. 1970-71 - writes first drafts of "The Eiger Sanction" submits to
various publishers, Crown accepts.

1972 - The Eiger Sanction published by Crown.

1973 - The Loo Sanction published by Crown.

c. 1974 leaves the UT in Austin due to dislike of being a college
administrator, --- at this point I am a little uncertain, I have
indications (unconfirmed or possibly in error) that Whitaker returned
to Dana College in NE to teach for awhile and I also believe that he
and his family possibly moved to France during this period temporarily.

c. 1974-75 - screenwriting credit as "Rod Whitaker" for the movie "The
Eiger Sanction" (released 1975).

1975 - Signs deal with HBJ, publishes "1339 or So...: An Apolgy for a
Pedlar" by Nicholas Seare after Whitaker offered the work to Crown
(Right of First Refusal, etc.). Intends to have HBJ publish "The Main"
under the pseudonym J.L. Morin.

c. 1975-1976 - Breach of Contract lawsuit by Crown. Results in "The
Main" being published by HBJ under the name Trevanian instead of Morin
as well as being obligated to write one more book for CVrown under the
name Trevanian as well. Probaly moves back to the US temporarily as a
result of the dispute.

c. 1977-78 - teaches part-time at Bucknell University in Lewisburg,
Pennsylvania. Writes "Shibumi"

1979 - Shibumi published by Crown

c. 1979 - moves to France permanently, (Pays Basque). I have presumed
that he lives near Etchebar and the other locales from "Shibumi" in St.
Engrace as has been noted in his late 1990's works.

1983 - publishes "The Summer of Katya" under the name Trevanian and
"Rude Tales and Glorious" under the Nicholas Seare name, both by Crown
or Crown imprints.

c. 1983 - Sources stating that Trevanian is actually Rod Whitaker start
to materialize.

c. 1983 - Hashian starts to insinuate/hint/imply etc. that he is really
the "original" Trevanian.

c. 1984 - a short story collection entitled "Different Voices" was
slated to appear under the Crown imprint. The book was never published.

C. 1981-89 - Whitaker's mother, Ruth dies after prolonged bout with
Alzheimer's probaly somewhere in Washington State.

c. late 1980's - Whitaker visits the US for the last time.

and on into the nineties.

You are welcome to add to any of the gaps or refine the above if you
know anyting different.

...To be Continued
c***@alamedanet.net
2005-06-24 04:04:17 UTC
Post by Nikuradse
I believe that Trevanian / Whitaker does indeed live in the Pays Basque
in France and has permanently since 1979. I also believe that he lived
in France briefly in 1975-76. I suspect that he was a semi-frequent
visitor to France for years before this but under what circumstances or
when I don't know.
why do we know or believe this? given that whitaker was/is a
prankster who will say anything, what evidence do we have that he has
ever lived in the basque region? he obviously has some knowledge of
the area, but we already know he's a thorough researcher [after all, he
never lived in a japanese go dojo nor served in the montreal police,
but he knows a thing or two]. for that matter, what parts of
Crazyladies are known to be true independently and what do we have to
take on the word of a deliberately unreliable narrator?

chiwito
Nikuradse
2005-06-24 16:29:01 UTC
Post by c***@alamedanet.net
Post by Nikuradse
[...]

You have raised some excellent points between your last few posts and
there are so may points to ponder.

First off, I apologize if I sounded "Sarky" and reviewing my
communications I can see where I didn't keep the discourse as elevated
as I should have. My natural cynicism seeping through no doubt. I do
however, find this particular conversation to be very stimulating as a
matter of intellectual curiousity in trying to reason out the mystery
surrounding "Trevanian".

That being said, I must admit to being very much a partisan of the
"Whitaker is Trevanian" school of thought, I will attempt a bit more
objective in my phrasing.

I believe that Trevanian lives in France based on what Crown, St.
Martins, and "Trevanian" have stated in the past and present in various
media (i.e. blurbs on books, interviews, news articles, etc.), or
rather in the abscence of contradictory evidence I accept those claims
as asserted. Since I believe that Trevanian is Rodney Whitaker ergo I
believe that he lives in France, around or near St. Engrace being as
likely candidate as any locale.

As far as "Crazy Ladies" I believe that it is broadly accurate in a
biographical sense as a memoir disguised in novelistic form. Of course
I also believe that elements of Trevanian's life have been compressed,
combined, embellished, rearranged, etc. so on a strictly factual basis
I wouldn't accept it as a literal account of Trevanian's early life
from circa 1936 - 1945, rather I accept it as conveying a larger
emotional truth as to how the author percieved these early childhood
experiences. From this novel I have extracted a broad chronological
understanding of portions of Trevanian's life that I have no reason to
doubt as long as the focus is on the general rather than the
particular.

As to Seth King, I presume he still is alive, he certainly wrote a
substantial number of articles for the New york Times on various
subjects so the article on Hashian was not a one-off planted for
nefarious marketing purposes, which was my original suspicion.

As to No reason to belive in Hashian sueing if he really was the
original Trevanian (assuming he had sold the "rights" fair and square);
I still maintain that my subjective assesssment is still reasonable.
People sue each other all of the time in the US, particularly if money
is involved (and despite the presence of a contract or legally binding
instrument). It is quite common for people to seek to overturn a
contract and I would have expected hashian to have done so.

As far as any especial reason or attachment with Trevelyan (presumably
G.M. Trevelyan; 1876-1962), I can only hazard a guess that Trevelyan's
arguement that History was a literary art or some other such connection
had an appeal or attraction for Trevanian.

As to why the importance of Whitaker's children's names, there is no
importance to me personally save to establish their number (three) and
that they do exist. I have made an educated guess that "Apology for a
Pedlar" written by Nicholas Seare and copyrighted to Rod Whitaker is
dedicated to three persons who are his children. I know for a fact that
Whitaker's son is named Christian (or Chris) and that an Alexandra
Whitaker appears on the copyright for "Hot Night in the City" as well
as authoring a story in "Death Dance" from 2002. The Death Dance blurb
states that Alexandra lives in Spain with her child. Thus I have made
the inference that these are the names of the three Whitaker children.
We also know from various sources that Whitaker's wife is named Diane
so Alexandra is some other person.

As I stated I accept the 1979 New York Times article as an authentic
contact with "Trevanian". The importance is the various biographical
facts contained therein, (i.e. three children, four college degrees,
writes under five different names, etc.). Since I accept this article
as true then whomever is a candidate as the true identity of Trevanian
would by neccessity have to share the same biographical facts or be
excluded from consideration.

Since all that I know of concerning Whitaker's biography fulfils the
elements described in the 1979 article I accept him as the person who
is Trevanian. If my reasoning is in error than I have no case.

Concerning Hashian, the Seth King article appeared five years later. It
mentions four and not three children, the photograph contained of
Hashian could not possibly be a match for the photo of Trevanian in the
1979 article by inspection, etc. The Seth King article taken with other
contemporaneous articles I have located concerning Hashian give his
birth as 1923, which made him 56 in 1979 and not in his late "forties"
the various articles seem to imply that Hashian attended college but
never completed it so Hashian does not seem to possess one degree let
alone the four that Trevanian claims.

In and of itself I find the timing of the content of the Seth King
Hashian article to be extremely suspicious. Why these revelations in
1984? Why not 1978? or 1980? or 1972 for that matter.

Does this prove anything? To those who accept that Hashian sold the
name then it proves nothing except that a man gave an interview in 1979
claiming to be Trevanian and that the broad facts coincidentally match
the biography of Rodney Whitaker, former UT professor.

As to your question of reseaching the copyright records, there are two
methods, one) you can inspect and reseach indexes of the records at the
US Copyright Office in person, at least those available to the public
or 2) you can pay $90 per hour via a research request and various fees
for duplications of records or written reports.

The first involves a trip to Washington DC and the second involves the
expenditure of an undermined amount of money. Thus far, I have been
partial to the "Free" approach to research plus I live on the West
Coast.

....Looking forward to continuing this conversation

PS_ Excellent observations on the dedications to Shibumi and Rude
Tales, I will have to revisit my to-convenient conclusion and
re-evaluate. I did rather like my original interpretation.

As to the descriptions of mountineering and caving you may find the
observations contained in the following discussion thread to be of
interest:

http://www.caves.org/soapbox/showthread.php?t=1432

I would welcome your impressions.
c***@alamedanet.net
2005-06-24 22:30:02 UTC
Post by Nikuradse
First off, I apologize if I sounded "Sarky" and reviewing my
communications I can see where I didn't keep the discourse as elevated
as I should have. My natural cynicism seeping through no doubt. I do
however, find this particular conversation to be very stimulating as a
matter of intellectual curiousity in trying to reason out the mystery
surrounding "Trevanian".
no nneed whatever to apologize. my comment about sarkyness
applied Only to dennis's discussion of mr. hashian's possible financial
wants and other motivations for selling the Trevanian name. everything
else he's covered is backed up by solid factual analysis and logical
inferences. he only got sarky on the one topic where he didn't have
much in the way of facts [not primarily his fault; just an illustration
of the difficulties inherent in trying to prove a negative]. besides,
given my own tendencies, i can't really use the term "sarky" as a
pejorative.
Post by Nikuradse
I believe that Trevanian lives in France based on what Crown, St.
Martins, and "Trevanian" have stated in the past and present in various
media (i.e. blurbs on books, interviews, news articles, etc.), or
rather in the abscence of contradictory evidence I accept those claims
as asserted. Since I believe that Trevanian is Rodney Whitaker ergo I
believe that he lives in France, around or near St. Engrace being as
likely candidate as any locale.
someone, most likely mr. whitaker, created a pseudonym, Trevanian.
someone, probably mr. whitaker but possibly a publicist for crown
books, created a backstory to go with the pseudonym. while it is
certainly possible, even likely, that the creator would choose to use
elements of mr. whitaker's own biography to create the backstory, we
must remember that Trevanian's life is as much a literary construct as
any of the novels "he" wrote. especially with regard to those elements
of Trevanian's life story which relate directly to the backgrounds of
the novels, it is highly possible that marketing considerations or
simple playfulness on mr. whitaker's part played a role in how he
created the fictional character of Trevanian.

all we know of mr. whitaker's motivations for the use of several
interlocking pseudonyms, the convoluted relationship between them, the
long publishing hiatus [unless he was putting out other stuff under yet
another pseudonym which he has kept secret], and his continued use of
the same nom de plume long after it no longer served its original
purpose of concealing his identity, are mr. whitaker's own
explanations. these are confusing, and confused, enough that they
might well be subject to the same kind of sarky analysis of which i
accused dennis in connection with mr. hashian's supposed motives.
Post by Nikuradse
As far as "Crazy Ladies" I believe that it is broadly accurate in a
biographical sense as a memoir disguised in novelistic form. Of course
I also believe that elements of Trevanian's life have been compressed,
combined, embellished, rearranged, etc. so on a strictly factual basis
I wouldn't accept it as a literal account of Trevanian's early life
from circa 1936 - 1945, rather I accept it as conveying a larger
emotional truth as to how the author percieved these early childhood
experiences. From this novel I have extracted a broad chronological
understanding of portions of Trevanian's life that I have no reason to
doubt as long as the focus is on the general rather than the
particular.
same as above. assuming that the book is generally
autobiographical, it is so in connection with the pseudonym under which
it is published. if, perchance, the biography of Trevanian deviates
from that of mr. whitaker in signifigant ways, then a novel based on
"his" life would likely follow the public Trevanian narrative rather
than the private whitaker one.
Post by Nikuradse
As to No reason to belive in Hashian sueing if he really was the
original Trevanian (assuming he had sold the "rights" fair and square);
I still maintain that my subjective assesssment is still reasonable.
People sue each other all of the time in the US, particularly if money
is involved (and despite the presence of a contract or legally binding
instrument). It is quite common for people to seek to overturn a
contract and I would have expected hashian to have done so.
i am trying to come up with a way of dealing with the sheer
farfetchedness of this speculation without pegging the meter on the
sarkyness index. people do occasionally sue in situations where the
contracts they signed are clear and unambiguous and they have no chance
of winning. contrary to folklore, when they do they are generally
laughed out of court forthwith. to Expect someone to do so seems
farfetched. to expect it when there is little financial motivation is
more so. to use the fact that someone doesn't arbitrarily and
irrationally choose to sue someone else as the basis for concluding
that they never had any kind of business relationship is [remainder
deleted due to inability to find non-sarky way of expressing it].
Post by Nikuradse
As far as any especial reason or attachment with Trevelyan (presumably
G.M. Trevelyan; 1876-1962), I can only hazard a guess that Trevelyan's
arguement that History was a literary art or some other such connection
had an appeal or attraction for Trevanian.
quite possibly. my only point was that any outside evidence of
such an appeal To Whitaker would be a data point in favor of the
contention that he was the original and only trevanian. conversely,
any similar evidence for an interest in trevelyan on hashian's part
would be a data point as well. of course, we only have anecdotal
evidence, again from a deliberately unreliable narrator, that the
trevanian name was chosen in homage to trevelyan.
Post by Nikuradse
As to why the importance of Whitaker's children's names, there is no
importance to me personally save to establish their number (three) and
that they do exist. I have made an educated guess that "Apology for a
Pedlar" written by Nicholas Seare and copyrighted to Rod Whitaker is
dedicated to three persons who are his children.
i was merely pointing out that whatever importance you attach to
the fact that whitaker's and trevanian's biographies are identical in
this respect, the references to the "Apology..." dedication are
irrelevant, since there has never been any controversy over the fact
that the pseudonym nicholas seare is really whitaker.
Post by Nikuradse
As I stated I accept the 1979 New York Times article as an authentic
contact with "Trevanian". The importance is the various biographical
facts contained therein, (i.e. three children, four college degrees,
writes under five different names, etc.). Since I accept this article
as true then whomever is a candidate as the true identity of Trevanian
would by neccessity have to share the same biographical facts or be
excluded from consideration.
one can certainly accept that the NYT article is an authentic
contact with "trevanian", and that this inherently means with whitaker,
and still not assume that the latter always told the truth about his
alter ego's biography. again, Trevanian is a fictional character,
probably created by whitaker. whitaker may well have used major
elements of his own background in creating this character, but that
doesn't mean that everything in "trevanian's" life story is equally
real. this is especially true of those elements directly relevant to
the books that "trevanian" wrote. furthermore, what elements are real
and what aren't would be unaffected by whether whitaker is the sole and
only author of 'trevanian's" body of work, or if he merely played the
role of trevanian and wrote some of the books while one or more
ghostwriters produced others.
Post by Nikuradse
PS_ Excellent observations on the dedications to Shibumi and Rude
Tales, I will have to revisit my to-convenient conclusion and
re-evaluate. I did rather like my original interpretation.
As to the descriptions of mountineering and caving you may find the
observations contained in the following discussion thread to be of
http://www.caves.org/soapbox/showthread.php?t=1432
I would welcome your impressions.
i take two main impressions from the discussion on the caving
website about the climactic scenes in Shibumi and The Eiger Sanction:
1. besides doing a fair amount of research on the places and
subcultures in which his novels are set, trevanian/whitaker cribbed
from stories about real life events to make such research easier. i
think this strengthens my conviction that we have little or no evidence
that he ever lived in or had inside knowledge of the areas of south
france in which parts of his work are set. he could have written the
relvant scenes in Shibumi or of Le Cagot's writings without ever having
seen the locations. thus we are again left with only his own assertion
As The Fictional Trevanian that "he" lives there. i'm certainly not
cliaming that he doesn't or didn't; i am however saying that the
evidence that he does is very limited and the contention highly
unproved.
2. given his penchant for adapting real life incidents so closely
that knowledganble people can immediately identify the particular
magazine articles he cribbed, i am more convinced than ever that Otake
is Kitani Minoru, and that a dedication "to the memories of the men who
here appear as...." means exactly what it says. the four characters
are very closely based on real individuals, rather than being very
loosely based upon "aspects" of the characters of four other unknown
persons to whom he dedicates an unrelated book. as the easiest of the
other three to research i'd look for a japanese general [or german;
that's a fictional adaptation i wouldn't find far-fetched] who was
accused of being a class A war criminal, perhaps under dodgy
circumstances, and who committed suicide before or during trial.

chiwito
j***@sjastudents.org
2014-01-01 01:20:49 UTC
I know this is a long dead thread but I found the Trevanian story interesting and had something to add.

I grew up in Vienna, Virginia and met Jack Hashian in the early 1980s. My mom had a neighborhood women's club and scored a coup when Jack Hashian agreed to speak to the neighborhood women's group. He lived in Wayside, home to many Federal government beauracrats) and claimed he had also written a best selling thriller under a pen name Trevanian when he agreed to meet with the women's
group. He claimed that his new novel, published under the Hashian name, was not as well received by the publisher and that is why it only came out in paperback. He also claimed to be the father of Sib Hashian, drummer for the rock band Boston in their first two records. Jack Hashian had a German Shepard dog that he commanded in German. All these years, I thought he was the real deal but after reading all of the threads it looks like he was just a guy trying to con his way into literary fame. I wonder if he was really related to Sib Hashian from Boston? Interestingly, when I looked up Sib Hashian I found he still performs in the Boston area. I saw some photos and at this late date Sib looks like I remember Jack Hashian looking 30 years ago.
Nikuradse
2005-06-24 00:03:04 UTC
Post by c***@alamedanet.net
[...]
Search Google groups using "Hashian" or "Hashian" and "Travanian" (note
the mispelling) as well as Hashian with Trevanian in the search terms.
You will see several postings going back to the early 1990's from
people who claim to directly "Know" Hashian or "know people who know
Hashian" and they then relay the information that(expectant pause),
Hashian is really Trevanian!!!

These are examples of the sorts of things I paraphrased as "Hashian
wrote... or ...he then sold the identity" etc.

While I am at it I percieve that somebody has posted in it's entirety
the 1984 NYT article about Hashian:

- A Dual Career in Fact and Fiction, by Seth S. King. Published in the
New York Times on October 15, 1984:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/misc.writing/browse_thread/thread/a8910533f32e06c6/a9f082301ddfe71e?q=hashian+travanian&rnum=1&hl=en#a9f082301ddfe71e

This is the 1984 article that I refered to in a previous post and that
I plan to debunk in detail. This is also the NYT article that I believe
Trevanian refers to on his website i.e. "This poor fellow was one of
these. He hovered out there for more than a quarter of a century, and
managing to take his deception as far as the New York Times."

http://www.trevanian.com/tdesk/tbio.htm

The original (Seth King) article contains a photograph of Hashian
(availble via PDF format from Proquest or the NY Times Archives). He is
relatively bald, bearded, and squat (thickset). There is no way that
this man could be in any way the man in the silohetted photo in the
1979 NYT article I have been discussing and relying on (as the
centerpiece of my case / claim).

As I said I plan to debunk this article in detail when I get the time
as well as mention some earlier 1983-84 articles where Hashian hints
that he is a best-selling author that writes under a pseudonym but
doesn't state a connection with Trevanian.

The Seth King Article does, however. It all but proclaims it as fact.
This I believe is the 'alchemist's stone' if you will, of the Trevanian
is Hashian school. Everything I can ascertain in print as to the
Hashian is Trevanian theory goes back to this article. I have also
speculated that Hashian was probably much more direct in person in
making the claim at the time but putting in print is an entirely
riskier matter (if not true).

A curious fact about the Seth King article if you read it is that the
word Travanian is used throughout and not the proper Trevanian with an
E.

Could this be poor editing or a deliberate contrivance to avoid
litigation (after all I am willing to accept that Hashian's wife's
maiden name could be Travanian for all I know).

The meat of the article is in these passages (and Hashian's own words):

begin quote:

"...But Mr. Hashian had such doubts about the book's quality that he
asked to have it published under a pseudonym. "This became my pen
name," he said. "So after that first book suprised me and started
selling big, I
had to write two more with that name. The awful part is I have four
grown kids in Boston and it was hard for them to take bows for what
their father was doing as a bestselling author because they couldn't
convince anybody it was really me."

"So I decided the hell with this," Mr. Hashian continued. "I decided
I'd write under my own name, write something about my Armenian heritage
and not care who knew it.

So he sold the rights to his pen name. Another author is now using it
and Mr. Hasian is bound by contract not to take credit for his previous
successes. When asked if he might be the original Travanian, he will,
like a good man of mystery, look his questioner squarely in the eye and
deny it...."

- end quote.

My short version of the debunking (or do the premises fit the
conclusion?) of the "Hashian is Trevanian" theory is as follows:

So we are supposed to believe that Hashian wrote a novel (presumablely
the Eiger Sanction) but had such doubts about it that he asked to have
it published under a pseudonym (barely plausible, but I might buy the
reasoning except for the fact that if Hashian was a former journalist
for the Boston Globe and a Department of labor spokesman for umpteen
years he should have been used to seeing his name in print).

Hashian then HAD to "write two more with that name" They (presumably
Crown) must have MADE Hashian do it, bad publishers.

Then we are asked to believe that Hashian then must have been so fed up
with writing three best sellers that sold millions of copies worldwide
(and made him how much money?) that he decided to write under his OWN
name. The answer to all Hashian's problems with success was to
supposedly SELL the pseudonym to another author. Perhaps this purchaser
of the unnamed pseudonym was a former university professor who was
presumably independantly wealthy to buy the now-successful franchise
though I doubt it. Conveniently, Hashian is now bound by contract not
to discuss this "pseudonym". He also must have been really looking
forward to that government pension to supplement all of the money he
must have made writing as Trevanian, so much so that he kept on working
for the US government well into the 1980's.

To paraphrase a line of Trevanian's, "Doe's this not offend your sense
of rational probability?"

If Hashian really "sold" the Trevanian identity you bet that at some
point he would have started a civil suit alleging that he was
"fraudulantly" enticed into signing his rights away or some other
nonsense. This is after all America, the high-altar of money our god
and our form of worship, litigation. As far as I know, Hashian never
sued over the name Trevanian most likely as he had as much right to the
name as i do, that is none.

As an aside, if Crown had owned the rights to Trevanian we would
undoubtably seen Jonathan Hemlock elevated to a status similar top that
of Mack Bolan and endless episodes of derring-do and spy hijinks ala
"The Executioner" and "The Destroyer" series would now grace the
dustbins of flea markets and second-hand paperback shops throughout the
USA. After the success of "The Eiger Sanction" and "The Loo Sanction"
you bet that if Crown had had their way we would be on "Sanction"
episode #121 by now.

That didn't happen so I think it is reasonable to rationally dismiss
the notion that the publisher could have held the Trevanian copyright.
The only rational answer is that one person wrote all of the Trevanian
books and controlled the copyright to the name and wrote published and
did what he wanted and when he wanted with the name.
Post by c***@alamedanet.net
i am now convinced that rodney whitaker did write all of
"trevanian's" output, and to the extent that i had any lingering doubts
nikuradse's evidence is relatively convincing. however, there will
always be some doubt as long as so much of the evidence depends on
statements by RW himself and by crown, who may be in on the game.
also, even to the extent that we can consider the case proved, all the
ancillary mysteries of when, what and mostly why are still of great
interest.
chiwito
I am pleased that you are convinced as am I though I am not quite
finished. PS Whitaker used the pseudonym Trevanian since the early
1960's for at least one play that he wrote. Of course back then there
was a first name attached to it.

The Albany news article that I mentioned previously also says (I
believe) that it was a modification of the historian Trevalyn's name
(presumably G.E. Trevalyn)thought up by Whitaker's wife.
c***@alamedanet.net
2005-06-24 03:57:32 UTC
Post by Nikuradse
- A Dual Career in Fact and Fiction, by Seth S. King. Published in the
is mr. king still alive and working? has anyone made an attempt to
contact him to see if he has any further info or if he still believes
that hashian=trevanian?
Post by Nikuradse
If Hashian really "sold" the Trevanian identity you bet that at some
point he would have started a civil suit alleging that he was
"fraudulantly" enticed into signing his rights away or some other
nonsense. This is after all America, the high-altar of money our god
and our form of worship, litigation. As far as I know, Hashian never
sued over the name Trevanian most likely as he had as much right to the
name as i do, that is none.
no reason to believe that at all. if he sold the name fair and
square, then he would still have the same right to the name as you do,
none. presumably he would be happy with the money he got [especially
since the vast majority of the money ever made by "Trevanian" was
already in the bank once the three spy novels did their time on the
bestseller lists] and would have neither incentive nor legal right to
contest anything.

Post by Nikuradse
1960's for at least one play that he wrote. Of course back then there
was a first name attached to it.
i assume i've seen this somewhere, but i don't remember it. what
play, and what name?
Post by Nikuradse
The Albany news article that I mentioned previously also says (I
believe) that it was a modification of the historian Trevalyn's name
(presumably G.E. Trevalyn) thought up by Whitaker's wife.
reasonable, although the notion that it was a tip o' the hat to B.
Traven has more romance to it. any known connection between either
whitaker and a reason to be special fans of Trevalyn?

chiwito
c***@alamedanet.net

chiwito
c***@alamedanet.net
2005-06-24 03:44:18 UTC
Post by Nikuradse
Now if you go to the book "1339 ...or SO: Being the Apology of a
Pedlar" by Nicholas Seare it was published in 1975 by HBJ and is
copyrighted to Rod Whitaker". The book is dedicated to Thomasyn,
Christian, and Alexandra and I am 99.99% certain that these are the
names of Whitaker's three children. >
Note: Trevanian edited a 2002 mystery short-story collection called
Death Dance, one of the stories is by an Alexandra Whitaker.
why are we 99% sure that hese dedicatees a whitaker's three
children? and, does it matter? after all, there is no known
controversy over the fact that nicholas seare is rod whitaker.
Post by Nikuradse
"This translation is dedicated to the guiding shades of: Geoffrey,
Miguel, Giovanni, and Francois"
I have longed believed that these are the true first names of the four
men that Shibumi is dedicated to and that Kishikawa, Otake, de Lhandes,
and Le Cagot are built on aspects of these four (presumably deceased
men).
unlikely in at least one of the four cases. while nikuradse's
phrase "built on aspects of these four...men" is vague enough that it
could be true of anyone, trevanian's dedication implies a more direct
identification: "to the memories of the men who appear here as:
Kishikawa Otake de Lhandis Le Cagot". the life and attributes of a go
sensei are so distinctive that it is unlikely that "the man who appears
here as Otake" would be other than such a sensai. more specifically,
otake's biography parallel's that of real-life champion and teacher
Kitani Minoru fairly closely. there is another identifier between the
two as well. Shibumi is one of the two most important and influential
works of literature in introducing the game of go to english speaking
people [i listed it as one of three, but there is legitimate dispute as
to whether the third involves the game throroughly enough to count].
the other book to have such influence is Meijin, by Kawabata Yasunari.
this is a very lightly fictionalized account of one of the great go
matches of the past century. Kitani was one of the two players. as
one of the two lead characters in Meijin, he appears under the name
Otake. i don't think that this was a coincidence. incidentally, the
english translation of Meijin appeared in 1972.

by the way, do we know of any independant evidence that rod
whitaker was interested in or knowledgeable about the game of go? just
for the sake of completeness, what about james hashian?

chiwito